Jun 29, 2010
There’s nothing worse than settling down for a nice, lengthy gaming session only to discover that you’ve first got to apply a system update. Especially if, like me, your internet connection is crap in the evenings and it takes around 567 hours to download the smallest update. :/
After today, that will no longer be an issue if you choose to subscribe to Playstation Plus, as one of the features allows you to set the PS3 to turn on and automatically download updates. Nice!
Here’s the heads-up on what’s being added :)
- PlayStation Plus: PSN users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus which is a new premium subscription service on PSN that lets you expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Don’t forget though, all PSN users will continue to have free access to PSN’s existing and brand new features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will also gain access to an exclusive set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
- PlayStation Store Five Star Rating Support: Users can now rate PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
Source: Playstation Blog EU
Sounds like a decent update, unfortunately owning two consoles with subscription based content makes it a little more difficult to afford. I’ll have to stick with my LIVE service for now.
Loving the auto-update though, that will save some time!
I think I’ll probably end up subscribing to Playstation Plus. The fact that it’s not necessary makes it all the more appealing somehow.
But maybe that’s just me. :)